Fleas have quickly become a year around pest, we see indoor and outdoor pets afflicted just the same. Some pets develop a hypersensitivity or allergy to flea bites. For more information about fleas, their life cycle and prevention, keep reading!
Ctenocephalides Felis - The common cat flea is the most common type of flea on pets
Flea Life Cycle
Prevention and Eradication
Medical Problems associated with fleas
Flea Prevention Products
1. NexGard (Merial) - Canine - Monthly Soft Beef Flavoured Chewable Tablet for Dogs - for the treatment and control of flea infestations and adult ticks
2. Bravecto (Merck) - Canine - Chewable tablet given once every 12 weeks (3 months) For the treatment and control of flea and tick infestations
* Must remember to administer this medication every 3 months with food, some require more frequent dosing - Coming soon for cats!!
3. Advantage II (Bayer) - Canine & Feline - monthly topical solution for control of adult fleas - contains an insecticide and IGR
4. K9 Advantix II (Bayer) - Canine - monthly topical solution - For control of fleas and adult ticks. Allows for killing on contact vs biting and has some repellant activity
* Duration of protection may be shortened by shampooing, water immersion or exposure to rain.
* Product is toxic to cats when ingested.
5. Comfortis (Elanco) - Canine & Feline - once monthly oral tablet - eliminates adult fleas within 4 hours
6. Trifexis (Elanco) - Canine - once monthly oral tablet - eliminates adult fleas within 4 hours, also contains dewormer and heartworm preventative
7. Sentinel (Elanco) - Canine - once monthly oral tablet - contains an IGR to stop reproduction, does not contain an adulticide; also contains dewormer and heartworm preventative
8. Revolution (Zoetis) - Canine & Feline - monthly topical solution for control of adult fleas - product is absorb systemically
9. Simparica (Zoetis) - Canine - new once monthly oral chew - new this year! for control of fleas and ticks
10. Capstar (Elanco) - Canine & Feline - once daily (Every 24 hours) oral tablet to rid adult fleas within a short time of ingestion (typically 20 minutes)